Add to shortlist button.
BasementArtsProject is an artist-led initiative, located in a pre-war, mid-terrace house in South Leeds, facilitating and promoting the activities of artists nationally and internationally whilst maintaining a broad and varied programme within the city of Leeds.
Our current activity is based around a frequent series of events taking place throughout the year whilst we seek funding to convert the space into a fully operational studio / residency project / Gallery venue with its own access and facilities.
Exhibitions and events since April 2011 have included solo projects by Kimbal Quist Bumstead, Alisia Casper, Alan Dunn & Martyn Rainford, Luke Drozd, Philip Gurrey, Dominic Hopkinson, Samela Otoviç, Unravel: The Longest Hand Painted Film in Britain and Alistair Woods. We have also staged lectures by Canadian Art Historian Allan Antliff and artist Dominic Hopkinson, and a gig by experimental musicians TEN. We have also played host to the group exhibitions ‘SPEAKEASY: art in an age of prohibition’, ’Other Rooms’ curated by Saturation Point and ‘Roadside Museum’ curated by Gordon Culshaw and John O Hare.
Alongside this we have taken artists work offsite to events such as the Stockholm Independent Art Fair 2012, Liverpool Biennial 2012 and Divided We Fall, across the rest of Leeds in August 2012, March 2013 and May 2014. In April 2014 BasementArtsProject staged the third of three collaborative exhibitions with international collective SCI under the moniker SCIBase at 3rd on 3rd Gallery and Dykeman Young Galleries in Jamestown, New York.
BasementArtsProject is currently working on a selection of new projects including our second publication for late 2015 and early 2016. The programme continues . . .
BasementArtsProject seeks to:
• assist with the Cultivation and Development of the practice of emerging artists to a high artistic standard
• create an artist-led and ideologically neutral space that gives artists control over how their work is viewed
• provide an engaging and informative programme of exhibitions and events with an emphasis on quality
• create an atmosphere conducive to the creation and appreciation of artworks across many styles and forms
• provide a focal point for consistent and continuous artistic activity in LS11
• provide a gallery and project space that is free to artists and the visiting public alike
• create links and opportunities with, and for, artists at a national and international level whilst maintaining a focus on projects located at BasementArtsProject in Leeds
• provide an arterial connection between the inhabitants of the South Leeds environ and the larger Leeds art scene; and vice versa
• increase the feeling of mutual respect and support between members of the art community
BasementArtsProject is working towards a sustainable future through:
1 the architectural re-development of the basement into a self-sufficient space
2 permanent opening hours and four residency projects per year (based on 1)
“What E [sic] am interested in now is that point where Art meets Life and fuses, dispersing art and enhancing life.” Genesis P-Orridge. G.P.O vs G-P.O
Open all the time
Sat / Sun 2pm – 4pm and Mon 11am – 2pm (during exhibition times)
To make sure that they are open check website or contact Bruce Davies on 0750 672 1504
Exhibition Previews are generally Friday nights (Occasionally they may occur on other night’s dependent upon the nature of the activity)
FREE (Unless otherwise stated)
Events at this Venue
|Fri 21 Apr||Paul Digby: Cityscapes | At Home and At Work|
|Sat 22 - Sun 23 Apr||Paul Digby: Cityscapes | At Home and At Work|
|Mon 24 Apr||Paul Digby: Cityscapes | At Home and At Work|
|Sat 29 - Sun 30 Apr||Paul Digby: Cityscapes | At Home and At Work|
|Mon 1 May||Paul Digby: Cityscapes | At Home and At Work|