The Leeds and Liverpool canal: Celebrating it's 20 at Otley Courthouse
Historical Event, Thu 24 Nov 2016
The Leeds and Liverpool canal: Celebrating it's 20
After 2 Acts of Parliament, six engineers, countless 'navvies', more than 90 locks, 220 bridges, 2 tunnels and 46 years of construction, the Leeds and Liverpool Canal was finally completed on the 22nd October 1816. At 127 Â¼ miles long it is the longest single canal in Britain and, when combined with the Aire and Calder Navigation, provided a connection from the Irish Sea to the North Sea.Come and join Bill Froggatt, Heritage Advisor at Northwest Waterways, who looks at the history of the canal, considers why it was built and looks at some of the challenges that were overcome to build it.
Map reference: SE 202456 Lat: 53.90617 Long: -1.69401
Head into Otley town centre on the A660 and follow the signs for the main car park from Briggate. The Courthouse is next door to the main car park.
By Public Transport:
From Leeds take the X84 express bus. Get off the bus at Otley Bus station, and walk through towards Netto. Cross the road at the crossroads and carry straight on. Take the next left and the Courthouse is found half way up Courthouse Street.
Parking: with charge
Accessible by Public Transport: 2 miles from Menston station