Shopping in Otley
Otley offers great shopping and wonderful food and drink options
Otley has been a market town for almost 800 years and that tradition continues today with the vibrant thrice-weekly market and a monthly farmers’ market. Pick up fresh fruit, organic vegetables, home-reared eggs and fresh fish delivered from the North Yorkshire coast.
The shops and stores on the cobbled lanes and alleys around the town provide all manner of artisan shops: vintners, beer specialists and traditional sweet shops, alongside fine jewellers, gift shops and antiques. Look out for the Kirkgate Arcade with its Victorian glass roof and boutique stores. And if you’re into art, you’re in for a treat – Otley is home to many fine galleries.
Otley is home to three renowned butchers offering meat reared on the surrounding farms of North Yorkshire. Prize-winning bakers offer scrumptious, hand-kneeded bread, and a visit to the town’s nationally renowned chocolatier is a must.
FABULOUS FOOD AND DRINK
Ancient market town laws saw public houses in Otley flourish and there are still around 20 drinking holes today, from traditional pubs that pre-date the English Civil War, to hip style bars with a vibrant live music scene, unparalleled for a small market town.
When it comes to dining out, choose from Modern British to Moroccan and Italian to Indian, or head to one of the many tearooms. Some of these are themed: 1950s décor, a cozy café with its own print room, and even a dog-friendly offering.
Top 5 must-dos
- Sample a pork pie from one of our award-winning butchers
- Sip real ale in one (or more) of the town’s many pubs. See otleypubclub.co.uk
- Pick up fresh produce on the thrice-weekly market or the monthly farmers’ market. See yorkshirefarmersmarkets.co.uk or leeds.gov.uk/leedsmarkets/
- Browse the many independent shops in the cobbled streets surrounding the market
- Take afternoon tea in one of the fabulous tearooms