WIN a cultural city-break
Enjoy a two day cultural city-break in Leeds featuring a night at the opera
Leeds is the cultural city of the North, with a compact and walkable city-centre where vibrant street art sits alongside stunning Victorian architecture. It’s home to spectacular theatres and world-famous arts organisations including Opera North and Northern Ballet.
To celebrate the start of the city’s Autumn cultural programmes, we’ve partnered with Opera North and The Queens Hotel to create the perfect luxury city-break package for two people – which we’re giving to one lucky winner.
You won’t need to worry about a thing, with your train tickets from London King’s Cross to Leeds covered, you’ll arrive on Friday 20 October in just over two hours where your hotel – the iconic Queens Hotel – awaits. Located perfectly at Leeds Train station, in the heart of the city centre, you’ll receive a warm welcome with a bottle of complimentary fizz on arrival and dinner for two at on-site restaurant Grand Pacific.
On Saturday you will have time to explore the vibrant city of Leeds for yourself – you could take a water taxi and explore the docks, follow the street art trails or enjoy some of the country’s best retail therapy (you’ll find plenty more inspiration of things to do here). Then return to the comfort of your hotel room and prepare for a pre-theatre dinner at critically acclaimed restaurant Kino followed by a performance of Opera North’s irreverent comedy Falstaff, a Verdi opera full of mischief, mirth and unexpected twists.
To enter, simply complete the form at the bottom of this page before midnight on Thursday 5 October. The winner will be contacted by Wednesday 11 October.
More about Opera North
Opera North is a national opera company based in Leeds, and is a leading UK arts organisation. Rooted in the North of England, international in outlook, they create extraordinary experiences, every day.
In Falstaff, join Shakespeare’s beloved rogue in this irreverent comedy that will have you rolling with laughter. Falstaff may be down on his luck, but he still thinks he’s the most charming man in Windsor. When he targets two wealthy wives he believes he’s hit the jackpot, but these women are no pushovers and they concoct a plan to teach Falstaff a lesson he’ll never forget…
More about The Queens Hotel
The Queens Hotel, Leeds – A majestic presence on Leeds’ City Square, The Queens Hotel has been welcoming guests since 1937 – some of them rich and famous. A stay here means you’ll be following in the illustrious footsteps of Princess Grace of Monaco, Cary Grant, Nelson Mandela and Laurel and Hardy. The Queens underwent a £16 million refurbishment that saw all its rooms given a contemporary makeover – and 17 new ones added. However, many of the hotel’s original art deco features have been retained, ensuring that it’s as delightfully elegant as it ever was.
More about Kino
Kino is a Leeds city centre restaurant and bar, presenting the best independent food, beers and wines. The Head Chef is former MasterChef: The Professionals semi-finalist Josh Whitehead, whose memorable dishes make the most of the incredible produce available in our region. You’ll find Kino a culturally vibrant, warm and welcoming place to spend your time.
Terms and Conditions
- There is one prize package to be won. The prize package includes:
- A two night stay for two people at The Queens Hotel, arriving Friday 20th October and departing Sunday 22nd October 2023. Including breakfast for two on both Saturday and Sunday.
- 3-course dinner for two people (taken from the A La Carte menu) and a bottle of house red or white wine on Friday 20th October at Grand Pacific Restaurant.
- Pre-theatre dinner for two up to the value of £58 (2 x £29pp 3 course meals). at Kino restaurant on Saturday 21st October
- Two tickets for performance of Opera North’s Falstaff at Leeds Grand Theatre at 7pm on Saturday 21st October
- Return tickets from London Kings Cross to Leeds. Travelling to Leeds on Friday 20th October and returning to London Kings Cross on Sunday 22nd October 2023.
- Prize is for the dates specified only (20 October to 22 October 2023) and non-transferable.
- Prize cannot be exchanged for cash
- Over 18s only
- Competition closes at midnight on Sunday 8th October. Entries after this time will not be counted.
- The winner will be chosen at random and contacted by Wednesday 11th October.
- If the winner fails to respond within 3 days, the prize is forfeited. If the prize is unclaimed or declined, an alternative winner will be randomly selected.
- Winner’s details will be shared with all competition partners.
- Subject to availability, train tickets will be booked in advance and we will do what we can to accommodate the winner’s preferred timings.
- Visit Leeds and Opera North are not responsible for travel arrangements beyond providing the tickets for travel.
- Only one entry per person. No third party entries, bulk entries or entries submitted by agents will be accepted. The Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of entrants. The Promoter may require such information as it considers reasonably necessary for the purpose of verifying the eligibility of an entry and the prize may be withheld until and unless the Promoter is satisfied with the verification. Entries made using methods generated by script, macro or the use of automated devices will be void.In the event of circumstances out of Visit Leeds’ control this prize may be substituted for a prize of equal or greater value. The promoter will not be responsible for any inability of a prize-winner to take up the prize or for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered as a result of entering the draw or accepting the prize. The promoter is not liable for any costs, charges or expenses which the winner may be required to pay at any time in connection with the prize.
- The draw is not open to employees of Visit Leeds/Opera North/The Queens Hotel, its agents, families or anyone professionally connected with the promotion. The promoter can accept no responsibility for entries lost, delayed, misdirected or damaged by email; proof of email sending is not proof of receipt.
- In the event of circumstances out of our control this prize may be substituted for a prize of equal or greater value. The promoter will not be responsible for any inability of a prize-winner to take up the prize or for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered as a result of entering the draw or accepting the prize. The promoter is not liable for any costs, charges or expenses which the winner may be required to pay at any time in connection with the prize.