A FAMILY DAY OUT IN OTLEY
Otley is a great day out for the whole family
Otley’s long-standing commitment to family fun can be see in the quaintly named Tittybottle Park – named after the Victorian mothers and nannies who would nurse their children in a relaxed setting by the River Wharfe.
The landscaped park is still a local favourite today and is home to a fabulous mosaic created by local schoolchildren.
Over the water is the larger Wharfemeadows Park, tennis courts, a playground, skate park and an outdoor gym, as well as a café selling cakes, hot drinks and ice creams.
Gallows Hill Nature reserve is home to a variety of birds, insects and amphibians and has a pushchair friendly path around its exterior – be sure to look out for kingfishers by the pond.
The Market Place hosts many pop-up family happenings and Otley’s vibrant events calendar means there is always something taking place, from cycle races to the Victorian Fayre.
Top 5 must-dos
- Feed the ducks and swans with seed before heading to the playground and skatepark at Wharfemeadows Park.
- Otley Courthouse hosts everything from drama classes to film performances. See otleycourthouse.org.uk
- There are regular pop-up events for families in the Market Place. See visitotley.co.uk for latest listings
- Enjoy the bird’s eye view of Otley from Surprise View and learn of the events that shaped Wharfedale more than 12,000 years ago on a Chevin geology trail. See chevinforest.co.uk
- See if you can spot the locations used for the many TV series filmed in Otley. See visitotley.co.uk