City Square is a paved open area in Leeds city centre. In 1897, the Leeds city council of the time wanted to improve the open space near to the (Old) Post Office and is now an impressive square by Leeds station.
The Old Post Office is a Grade II listed building built in a classical style by Sir Henry Tanner, it consists of a central clock tower and two main entrances with columns on the square. The two telephone booths outside the fantastic building are also Grade II listed. This beautiful building has now been transformed into two restaurants looking out onto the square, perfect for after-work drinks or some food with friends.
Surrounding the square are a number of statues, all in bronze and larger than life. The statues were all part of a celebration of Leeds changing it’s status from town to city. There is a large equestrian statue, statues of four famous men; James Watt, Joseph Priestley, John Harrison and Dr Walter Hook. All of these statues are encircled by a ring of female nudes, or nymphs, acting as lampholders.
Many walking tours start from City Square as it is very easy to find and a perfect spot to begin a tour of the city, either with a tour or self-guided.
Leeds Tourist Information is only a 5 minute walk up Park Row from city Square, so grab your map of the City and get exploring!