YOUR FAMILY FRIENDLY GUIDE TO LEEDS
3rd August 2023
Leeds is the perfect place for kids to have a fun-packed summer full of exploration! From our creative bear hunt trail to some of the best immersive attractions, there’s plenty of affordable options to get your value for money. We’ve rounded up the most exciting adventures for your little ones in Leeds this year.
The Tetley is an interactive museum right in the heart of our city. Explore their accessible art installations and get creative with free colouring for the little ones! You can also find the Tiny Tetley Studio on the second-floor bursting with creative flare as children can touch, climb and slide in this artist-designed play space. Click here to find your free family pass!
Royal Armouries Museum
Look no further than the Royal Armouries Museum for an action-packed summer. For all aspiring jousters, kings, queens and elephant riders there are five floors of armour and arms to explore – and it’s free entry too! Over summer, they will be showcasing popular combats and exciting demonstrations. Every day, the Royal Armouries will be introducing different heroes from history. Be sure to catch their daily horse shows for FREE this summer, held in their outdoor arena. Watch history come to life in these thrilling historical enactments.
Leeds Bear Hunt
Spanning across the whole of Leeds city centre, 35 giant bears and 50 cubs are hidden in plain sight! Leeds’ bear hunt is spread across three different coloured zones: orange, blue and green, meaning you can hunt for hours if you wish to.
Leeds has welcomed Wild in Art to the city to encourage exploration and discovery but also creativity and wellbeing. This free public trail is open to all explorers, big and small, until the 9th of September.
Extend your exploration for all things bears to a Teddy Bear Picnic! For just £5pp, John Lewis are providing a drink, snack and Leeds Bear Hunt activities to continue your trail of fun. Click here to read more.
Leeds City Museum are also hosting their very own Teddy bear Trail. Look high and low around the museum for their cuddly teddy bears and see if you can spot them all! The exhibitions are a must-see too.
Leeds Kirkgate Market
Leeds Kirkgate Market have an incredible line up of activities this summer! From creative crafting to inflatables, climbing walls and lazer mazes, there’s plenty of fun for children to lose hours in. Have a look at the full itinerary here.
Hold Fast Bookshop
Become a bookworm with the kids at this one-of-a-kind floating bookshop! Get comfy and tucked up with a good book in the cosy hull of historic former coal barge. Find more information here.
Thackray Museum of Medicine
Where medicine comes to life! Learn about the history of the NHS, the iron lung and even take a trip through ‘disease street’. The Thackray Museum is sure to get the children fascinated and excited to learn. Head over on a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday for Thackray Science Live to see the explosive action of the top science secrets.
Old Chapel Leeds
This is a non-profit organisation who inspire creative minds, young and old, by making music accessible for all – and it’s home of the Kaiser Chiefs too! Hip hop into one of their music tours on the last Sunday of each month to experience the Old Chapel to the full.
The Park Playground
Visit Park Playground to escape into a virtual reality with a multitude of games for kids aged 7+. From adventure, sci-fi and battle, to your favourite tv shows, you can jump into whatever world you like. This is an experience that will get your little one’s imaginations running wild!
Use code LEEDS15OFF to unlock 15% off until the end of August for bookings over 4 people.
Leeds Museums and Galleries
Travel back in time and visit the Victorian streets of Leeds at Abbey House Museum or inspire your young artists at the Leeds Art Gallery, taking time out for a coffee in their iconic Tiled Hall Café. Alongside the many brilliant attractions included in Leeds Museums and Galleries across the city, many are also putting on a whole host of summer festivities for the kids. From crafting to coding, theatre sessions to band performances, you will be spoilt for choice! See the full range of activities here.
Trinity Shopping Centre
From The Lego Shop to The Entertainer, Trinity shopping centre is the perfect spot for visiting the kids’ favourite shops! After a day of shopping, choose from over 40 different food and drink hot spots in Trinity to refuel. Attractions currently running in Trinity Shopping centre include MathsCity and Pick your Mix! MathsCity is a brilliant interactive hub for little ones to explore problem solving through puzzles and hands-on learning. Pick your Mix is a new attraction to Trinity, running between the 12th and the 28th of August- jam out to some great tunes and let the music inspire your choice of free goodies!
Parks and Countryside
Kirkstall Abbey is a picturesque attraction infused with history and stories of our heritage. Learn about their fascinating history and discover behind the scenes spots on their free guided tour.
Kirkstall Abbey are inviting children to celebrate summer by taking part in their birds, bees, bats and butterflies’ trail. See if you can spot them all. Don’t miss the brilliant, themed events running alongside this- whether you want to mould your own clay butterfly or get up close to a breath-taking bird of prey!
Panto at the Abbey has also made a popular return to Leeds showcasing some of our most loved stories such as Rapunzel and Robin Hood.
The magnificent Tudor-Jacobean estate, and the historic outbuildings and yards of the Temple Newsam home farm, makes for a perfect family day out.
Temple Newsam is celebrating ‘All Creatures Great and Small’ this summer. Until 13th August, get stuck into their creature inspired mask- making. Then, from 15th August – 3rd September, use recycled materials to sculpt your very own 3D creature. Little people have biggest imaginations, so let the creative juices flow at these fantastic events.
In celebration of ‘All Creatures Great and Small’, Temple Newsam is also inviting your little ones to experience ‘Creatures up close’.
These activities are included with general admission to the house, so there are no hidden costs to have some extra fun at your time at Temple Newsam!
One of the most beautifully preserved nature spots in Leeds, Kirkstall Valley is positioned on the magnificent River Aire. Known for their kingfishers and otters, children love to spot the natural wildlife roaming amongst the waters.
Kirkstall Valley Development Trust are hosting a whole range of summer holiday activities to create a fun outdoor space for kids to enjoy! Lunch is also provided for kids and adults each day. Check out their full itinerary here.
The perfect spot for a picnic and an ice cream. Snuggled in the heart of Far Headingley, Meanwood Park is a real hidden gem! Complete with beautiful waterfalls and a vast woodland, the adventure possibilities are endless. After a scenic walk, take a trip to the Three Cottages Café located on the park for a refreshing drink and a light bite.
Yorkshire Sculpture Park
Yorkshire Sculpture Park brings art to life with huge sculptures around a circular trail. Their ‘Curiosity and Wonder’ programme for the summer holidays promotes imagination and creativity by hosting artsy events such as live music, family raves and wax sculpting. This attraction is ideal for visiting during the summer months as this spot is a perfect sun trap too!
One of Europe’s biggest city parks, Roundhay Park presents endless days out for the whole family exploring the lakes, picnics at the bandstand and playing in the sunshine. The Royal Horticultural Society’s ‘Best Public Park’ award winning green space, Roundhay park is 700 acres of beauty and exploration. And home to Tropical World, where children can immerse themselves in the butterfly house, or say hello to the Roundhay meerkats at the desert house!
Harewood House is a brilliant family day out, especially whilst their itinerary is jam-packed full of summer fun such as the colour maze, woodland safari and penguin feeding! Visit Harewood house this summer half price! Use the code KIDSHALFPRICE when you pre-book to get half price children’s admission until the 3rd of September. Alternatively, if you have a valid bus ticket you can receive 50% off general entry.
If your feeling super adventurous and want to venture further, have a look at our family friendly day trips link at the bottom of this page. Explore some beautiful places such as lkley Moor, Haworth, Otley Chevin Forest and more!
Head to Leeds between the 14th and the 20th of August to experience the buzz of restaurant week! Eat Leeds run a campaign week every year to celebrate how wonderful our food scene is here in Leeds. Choose from 35 restaurants who have curated exclusive menus, food items and much more, ranging between £5, £10, £15, £20 and £25. Download your vouchers from Eat Leeds to enjoy some exquisite dining for incredible value!
Visiting another time? Don’t worry, eating out is still great value here in Leeds, even when restaurant week isn’t on!
Foodie favourites across Leeds are helping families spend less by discounting kids meals all summer long. Here’s a list of participating locations for Kids eat free/for £1
- Bills- 2 kids eat free Monday-Friday until 1st September
- Bella Italia – kids eat for £1 with any adult main. The offer is valid 4-6pm from Mon-Thurs
- Yo! Sushi – Kids eat free with every £10 adult spend until Friday 11th
- Estabulo – Rodizio Bar and Grill- Children under 4 years old eat FREE
- Sizzling Pubs- Kids eat for £1 at Sizzling Pubs with every adult main ordered. You can find your local branch at The Vesper Gate, Kirkstall, Leeds
- Hungry Horse- Kids eat for £1 on Mondays and up to 2 kids get breakfast free with 1 adult breakfast
- Premier Inn – Buy 1 Adult Breakfast from just £8.99 and up to two kids eat breakfast for free
- Travelodge – Buy 1 adult breakfast from £8.99 and up to two kids eat breakfast free
Hotel and Accommodation
With a wealth of family-friendly hotels across Leeds city centre, including well-known names such as Premier Inn, Holiday Inn Express and Ibis, there is plenty of accommodation in Leeds for those who wish to visit with their families.
- Leonardo Hotel Leeds has many family rooms and is ideally situated close to the main shopping streets of Leeds, as well as the stunning waterfront and the Royal Armouries Museum.
- Cosy up at The Queens, their double double family rooms make for the ultimate sleepover party. The hotel is right in the city centre so makes for a great location too. What’s more, Kids under 16 stay completely free when they share your room. Breakfast is also free for children under 5 with a paying adult! For an ultimate family getaway, book their Superior Family City Square View, complete with 1 King Bed and 1 Sofa Bed.
- The Clayton Hotel is also great for families; as one of the largest hotels in Leeds and with over 300 rooms, it is perfectly located on the south side of the city centre, as well as near to the main road and rail links for easy access to the wider area attractions.
- The Radisson Blu Hotel is situated in the perfect location for exploring the city. To book on this popular choice, choose form either the ‘One Bedroom Suite’, or the ‘Skyline Suite’ – both accommodating for up to 2 adults and 2 children. Under 12’s stay free of charge!
- The Holiday Inn is brilliant value for money with their ‘Kids eat free’ promotion. Their Queen Bed 1 Bedroom suite can sleep up to 5 in adjoining rooms.
- Hilton Leeds City are pulling out all the stops for their young guests. There are children’s activities and children’s welcome pack on arrival and kids stay free and eat free under age of 12.
- The Novotel is within walking distance to the best shopping, dining, and entertainment destinations so you and your little ones can get exploring from the moment you leave! Their standard room requires no upgrade to meet your family bedroom requirements, with 1 Queen bed and 1 Sofa bed.
- Leeds Marriot Hotel has a named family room containing 2 Double beds! Even the little ones can enjoy some extra space here.
- Likewise, the Crowne Plaza’s standard room contains 2 large Double beds, or upgrade to their standard Queen room for 2 Queen Beds!
After a fun filled day of exploration and discovery in Leeds, your little ones are bound to wind down in one of these affordable luxury options.